Today, Apple held a preview of their upcoming iPhone OS 3.0 and SDK. A lot of my wants will be coming. I may keep my iPhone 3G longer than planned – even though AT&T’s coverage is garbage. Here are a few that I’ve read about so far.
- MMS support (Finally! Welcome to half a decade ago, if not more.)
- Copy and paste (The pics during the demo looked promising and easy to use.)
- Spotlight search (Though I don’t use it enough on Leopard, it’s a great tool to search across multiple locations.)
- Peer to peer connection via Bonjour
- Multiple players for games
- CalDAV support
- Voice memos
- Sync notes
- Turn by turn map
- Modem tethering was mentioned but not demo’d ( I wonder once this capability is available, how much will AT&T charge extra? )
Those are just some of the new features that will be released sometime this summer (damn, that long?). Beta is available for developers today. I may look into the SDK more this time and maybe develop some stuff too – not sure yet though.
You can read the play by play on Engadget’s website – http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/live-from-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-event/. Thanks Apple, I’m a little excited about my iPhone again.